Monday, December 31, 2007

motion ocean


Now that the holidays are coming to a close, it's time to get excited about science again! Back to school is just around the corner....

This activity is fast and easy, and best for kids 3 and up. Here's what you need:

clear jar with lid
water
blue food coloring
glitter (if you dare)
baby oil(or cooking oil)
floating toys

1. Fill the jar half-way with water.
2. Add food coloring until you like the color of the water. Add a little glitter. A little means a pinch!
3. Add the baby oil until the jar is about three quarters full
4. Place a floating toy on top of the oil and screw the lid on tightly.
5. Shake the jar gently and watch your ocean in motion!

What's happening? First of all, water is denser than oil, so it remains near the bottom of the jar. And think about salad dressing - water and oil never truly mix, so the water pushes the oil around making little "waves".

I got this activity from this National Geographic site. It's a great site filled with fantastic activities and ideas for kids. In fact, I'd love to write for them some day. Hey, one can dream, right? I never thought I'd write for Discovery Education, but I have. They are kind of in the same league, aren't they?

Happy New Year to all!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hopefully little man is doing better? Will you be there tonight? I love this activity and will definately give it a try along with the bouncing raisins!

debbie said...

No, unfortunately we won't be there tonight. My guy still has a fever and has been sleeping on and off all day. :(

Have fun with oceans and raisins - I hope you and the kids enjoy!!

Justin Berk, AMS CBM said...

This is SOooooooooooooooo cool. I got a guy at work to do it with his 8 yr old daughter's science experiment