Monday, November 26, 2007

catching a cold


Cold season is in full swing around here. My son is just getting over his third cold! I love the California Baby bubble bath pictured here. It's non-toxic, no-tears, and made especially for congestion and stuffiness. It even comes with a bubble wand!
I'm sure most of us have heard the old wives' tale that you can catch a cold by not wearing a coat or by walking around with wet hair. I remember my grandma scolding me for going barefoot in the house on chilly winter days. Even as a teenager, I knew there was something wrong with this theory, but did I really want to argue with grandma? No way! However, I'd like to set the record straight here, especially since my own little peanut wanders the house barefoot during all seasons. Most, if not all, scientists agree that one cannot catch a cold by simply being cold. I read about a study that was done in which several groups were exposed to a cold virus and then exposed to various temperature conditions (is this even ethical??) The results were that all groups had the same frequency of catching colds. Exposure to low temperatures does not make you more susceptible to colds. Of course, I will still bundle myself and my son in the warmest gear possible because I hate the discomfort of being cold. But my son will still pitter patter around the house in his bare feet, no matter what the season. He likes it, and I love seeing his little toes.

2 comments:

Justin Berk, AMS CBM said...

That's too funny. My son just used the same thing. My wife loves the stuff. Thanks for sharing...

Justin Berk, AMS CBM said...

OK- for everyone else, this is my wife.. but I am addicted to her blog. I couldn't help myself